Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A shirt to a skirt



Finally I did it. Learning how to turn a large men's shirt into a skirt has been on my to do list for a while. A few nights ago when Rio had gone to bed I left Aaron to play Wii and headed for Athena's.
First of all we decided on simple is best, I cut the sleeves off the shirt and cut across the body. Then I sewed down the sides (as the shirt was a little wide) then hemmed the top and I left the original hem of the shirt for the bottom. Next the new skill, ruching which uses elastic thread, to create the waist band, so cool and easier than i thought. I reattached the pocket with a border of contrasting fabric, and there you have it my first skirt.



I enjoyed this so much I went to the Thrift store the next day to make another one, this time I took off the buttons and put a pocket on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment